Sunday, February 17, 2013

We're Still Hanging in There!

Week 16. Bos-boy is still here.

I've been reflecting on the first time I met Bosley.  The first day and a half or so of dog school, we students were practically beside ourselves with excitement.  We wanted to meet the dogs!  But we had to wait to get a list of instructions, admonitions and so on.  During breaks, we would discuss with other students what kind of dog we hoped we would get (or hoped we wouldn't get, right Deb??) and wonder how we'd make out.

I was tried with two separate dogs. Both labs. Charlie was a black lab, and Bosley was a yellow.  My first meeting with Bosley was that he rose up on his hind legs and darned near knocked me over. My immediate reaction was to say, "Off" and push him on the chest.  The trainer was impressed that I did that naturally, instead of letting him stay in that position.  Bosley and I walked around the room in a circle with the other students and their potential dogs.  After that, I tried out Charlie.  Charlie seemed the more laid back of the two.  Which one did I want? I didn't know.  I discussed the pros and cons of both dogs with the teachers/trainers and let them decide which dog to give me.

Then we were told to go to our rooms and wait for our dogs to be given to us. We were to stay in our rooms for awhile in order to get to know our dogs for a bit first once we'd gotten them.  My first impression of Bosley coming through the door was of one massive, blocky head, followed by the rest of his body.  His eyes were actually smiling at me.  I accepted Bosley's leash, and shut the door behind the trainers, then looked at Bosley to see what he would do.

He immediately jumped up onto my bed.

Uh. No.  Off.  He did so. Immediately.  Then, when I sat down on the bed and called him to me, he jumped up on my knee and humped it.  What the ....  Obviously, we were having a little battle of King of the Castle here!  However, despite the start, I knew immediately that Bosley was for me, and haven't looked back.

He's got his own personality. He still likes to test me occasionally, but then I wouldn't have him any other way. Most times, he is his usual eager-to-please, smiling self.

I'll be devastated when he's gone.  Already the anticipatory grief is  hard enough to go through.

3 comments:

Pat Pope said...

Good post, Catherine.

So, when you were paired with Bosley, was he already trained or did you have to go through training with him?Did the school select him as the one for you? Also, was he your first hearing dog?

I always like looking at his pictures you post on Facebook. He looks quite lovable.

Pat Pope said...

Good post, Catherine.

So, when you were paired with Bosley, was he already trained or did you have to go through training with him?Did the school select him as the one for you? Also, was he your first hearing dog?

I always like looking at his pictures you post on Facebook. He looks quite lovable.

Sandra Witterick said...

You and Bosley are such a team, Cathy. I feel for you, what you are now going through. I remember Bosley coming to the office in his early work years with you, and stealing not only your bag of lunch but your coffee too. We will all have fond memories of this lovable lug - enjoy every moment with him, honey.